Bach 2000 A Musical Tribute — Anthony Newman
The year 2000 brings us not only to a new millennium, but also to the 250th anniversary of the death of Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750). This album is in homage to the great composer and angel of music. All works on this recording are original music of mine, written between 1996 and 1999. The seven instrumental organ works are based in structure on a particular organ work of J.S. Bach. The five vocal works are settings of Angel poetry dedicated to our musical angel, and written by notable English Baroque era poets, as well as a New Testament reading from the Gospel of St. John.
J.S. Bach's music has been the musical inspiration of my life since I was five years old, and it is a real honor for me to pay this tribute to this great pillar of Western Music.
- Fugue in E Flat, for organ & timpani 2:57
- Is There Care in Heaven? (William Spencer) 3:38
- Prelude & Fugue in G, for organ solo 5:34
- To the Evening Star (William Blake) 3:23
- Grand Intrada & Triple Fugue in C, for organ & percussion 10:29
- Angels, from the Realms of Glory (John Montgomer y) 3:13
- Fantasia and Fugue in F 9:57
- Song (William Blake) 4:33
- Prelude & Fugue in A 7:50
- Then There Appeared an Angel (Gospel of St. John) 2:28
- Organ Chorale 'Come Sweet Death' 3:09
- Toccata & Fugue in B 8:51
Total Playing Time 66:02